It’s that time of year again. The crisp leaves cover the ground, the kids are back in school, you pulled your cozy sweaters from the closet, and we’re all gearing up for the holidays. It’s the perfect time to snuggle up on the couch to watch a family movie.
Unfortunately, this season also carries with it many pitfalls (filled with butter, fat, sweets & sugar) that can undo your weight loss progress.
Halloween can be especially dangerous. That’s why it’s time to talk about healthy Halloween treats.
The obvious question is, “What the heck do I do with all this EXTRA CANDY in my pantry?!”
No one wants to waste it and just throw it away, but it doesn’t make sense to keep it there, begging to get eaten. Think about all the mini candy bars, candy apples, candy corn, lollipops, single-wrapped candies, and everything else.
You might think it’s the kids who can’t resist Halloween junk food, but, to be honest, it was ME who needed to be tamed when it came to all that extra candy laying around the house.
My kids could keep their candy in a gallon bucket for months and not touch it. Me, on the other hand, I can’t keep my hands off it. If it is there, I eat it.
My sweet tooth is insane. Being a coach, I know that this is not good for my body. I’ve figured out a few “life hacks” (in the form of healthy fall recipes) that help me and I hope they help you too.
There are a few ways to tackle the Halloween candy problem… so don’t worry!
Use this handy guide to help kick this ooey-goey issue to the curb before it gets the best of you.
Give It Away
Yes, that’s right… there are a million different places to hand off your unwanted Halloween candy. You can send it with the kids to school, drop it off at your local church, food bank, or shelter, or give it to friends and family who have kids (or a sweet tooth!)
You can also freeze the candy to use later in baking. Just make sure you give those baked goods away, of course!
Throw It Away
It might sound crazy but there is nothing stopping you from throwing away all the junk food that won’t add any value to your diet or your life.
If you don’t want to hand all the sugar off to someone else, feel free to throw it in the trash! I promise no one will find out!!
I look at it like this, somebody eats it, I eat it, or the garbage can eats it. I’m OK with throwing away free candy that doesn’t align with my goals.
Make Delicious & Healthy Alternatives
And now for my favorite choice, make some healthy Halloween treats INSTEAD of indulging in pre-packaged junk! Your health and waistline will thank you for it!
One of my favorite fall treats is LEAN Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. It’s just the right amount of sweet, salty, and protein-packed goodness that you need to keep your diet on track. As far as healthy Halloween snacks go, this one is a national favorite.
Now, for our LadyBoss® healthy fall recipes…
LEAN Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Take 3-4 cups of raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup of organic coconut oil in liquid form
3 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons salt
1 scoop LadyBoss® LEAN
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, toss pumpkin seeds with coconut oil, salt, and cinnamon
- Place on a cookie sheet in a thin layer.
- Roast for 20 minutes, tossing midway through.
- Allow seeds to lightly cool.
- Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with LadyBoss® LEAN
- Add extra salt and cinnamon to taste.
Healthy Dark Chocolate Truffles
2 heaping tablespoons dark chocolate baking cocoa powder
2 heaping tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 cup rolled oats
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Splash almond milk
Extra cocoa powder
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and then take two to three tablespoons of “dough” and roll into balls. Chill. Wait. Then serve.
Fun-size candy bars of your choosing
One share size bag of M&M’s
One family size bag of pretzels
- In an 8×8 pan, place:
- Coarsely chopped fun-size candy bars, M&Ms, Pretzels
- Melt leftover Hershey’s Candy Bars or 100% chocolate.
- Add in LadyBoss® LEAN until you have a thick consistency.
- Mix in candy and spread it in the 8×8 pan.
- Refrigerate and when cool, break into bite-size chunks.
- Give this away and save the healthy Halloween snacks for you and the family!
1 scoop LadyBoss® LEAN
1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
4 cups of warm popcorn (Skinny Pop, homemade, or air popcorn)
- Mix together LadyBoss® LEAN and cocoa powder.
- Add popcorn to the mixture
- Optional, add in 1/4 cup of 100% chocolate chips if you’d like! (1 serving is 2 cups)
Protein PB Cups
4 tablespoons crunchy almond butter or peanut butter
1/4 cup LadyBoss® LEAN
4 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
1/2 bar of 90% dark chocolate
5 silicone cupcake cups
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl EXCEPT dark chocolate.
- Melt chocolate using instructions on the box.
- Pour chocolate into the cups CAREFULLY! You must pour it so that you get chocolate on the sides of the cups and move it around so that there is a layer on the bottom of the cup as well. You are creating the outer shell.
- Spoon out a little of your PB Protein mix into each cup and top the PB by pouring more of the dark chocolate on top.
- Place all of the cups in the freezer for 12 minutes.
- Turn the silicone cups inside out and pop out the chocolate cups! Now you have some super delicious healthy Halloween snacks!
Healthy Oreo Cookies
2 tablespoons Walden Farms Calorie-Free Maple Syrup
4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of chocolate whey protein powder (could use vanilla, too)
1 tablespoon of fat-free cream cheese
1/8 to 1/4 cup of LadyBoss® LEAN
- Place all the cookie ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon until you get a soft dough that you can mold with your hands into balls. If your dough is too sticky to allow you to do this, add a bit more cocoa powder until you get the right consistency.
- Shape 6-10 balls out of the mix (depending on how big you want your cookies) and, using your hands, flatten them and place them on a nonstick baking tray or a regular cookie tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 395 F for no more than 6 minutes. They often take 5 minutes to cook, so please check them after five minutes, and if they’re cooked through, take them out of the oven.
- Make your filling by mixing all your filling ingredients together. If you want your mix to be creamier than mine was, feel free to use casein!
- Fill the cookies with the filling and presto! That’s your cookie!!!!! Talk about some great healthy Halloween snacks!
So, now you have no excuses to skimp on healthy Halloween snacks this fall!
Use this arsenal of delicious, protein-packed recipes so you and your family can enjoy eating healthy Halloween treats that not only taste good, but that also will make you look and feel great!
Don’t be surprised if your friends and neighbors ask you where you got all these great trips and recipes. Feel free to tip them off and let them know they too can find all these great recipes and many more in the LadyBoss® Pocket Personal Trainer.