If you’re anything like me, you are already racking your brain trying to figure out what to do with the impending mountain of Thanksgiving leftovers that are on the way.
Dealing with Thanksgiving leftovers doesn’t have to be a hassle, though! There are plenty of healthy ways to use your Thanksgiving leftovers and turkey leftovers in delicious and simple ways.
It is time to talk about Thanksgiving leftovers and what to do with leftover turkey.
First, start by minimizing your leftovers. You want to cook enough for your guests, but don’t cook too much. If you’ve invited 15, don’t cook enough for 20 people. The exception, of course, is the turkey. If you buy a bigger bird, you can easily turn the leftovers into a variety of tasty dishes.
Then, send your guests home with food. Buy some new storage containers. Let friends and family either assemble complete meals to take home or stock up on some favorites like mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or stuffing.
Still worried about what to do with leftover turkey and any other thanksgiving leftovers? You’ve come to the right place!
We have gathered some easy and delicious meal ideas, to save you time and unnecessary stress.
Get your favorite pot and get ready to prepare a soup, chili, or casserole that will make everyone in the family happy.
Your waistline will definitely thank you for using these healthy hacks! And your fridge will no longer be packed with turkey leftovers!
Sure you could just reheat and eat your favorite cranberry sauce, pie, stuffing, and sweet potato souffle, but instead, why not save time and stress while tantalizing your tastebuds with these delicious and healthy recipes.
Sweet Turkey Cornbread
1.5 lbs shredded turkey
1 can kernel corn, rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup low-fat shredded cheese (optional)
2 packages or 8 ounces gluten-free Cornbread mix, prepared as directed
2 scoops LadyBoss LEAN®
1/2 cup diced green chilies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375
- Warm turkey in skillet
- Prepare cornbread mix as directed
- Add corn, tomatoes, LadyBoss® LEAN, green chile and turkey to cornbread mix. Add additional liquid if needed
- Spray sides and bottom of a 10-inch iron skillet with non-stick spray – heat skillet on high heat on the stove, then pour cornbread mix into the pan and sprinkle with cheese
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick and if it comes out clean, it’s done!
Sweet Potato Protein Chili
6 ounces lean shredded turkey
1 medium sweet potato, diced
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/8 cup diced onion
1/8 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup water
1/4 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 shake of ground black pepper
1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Chop all the vegetables. Place sweet potato, marinara sauce, onion, celery, water, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper in a slow cooker. Cook on high, stirring occasionally, for 5 hours.
- Add turkey and beans to sweet potato mixture in the slow cooker; cook until flavors have blended, 1 to 2 more hours.
- Slice avocado and place on top.
Turkey and Peppered Sweet Potato
2 cups shredded turkey
1 medium sweet potato
1/4 cup sweet peppers, diced
Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Place sweet potato in a large bowl of water. Cook in the microwave for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Spray a little nonstick spray in a medium-size saute pan and heat on medium heat. Add ground turkey to the pan along with peppers. Season with Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning. Brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through. Simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- Add pepper to sweet potato and top with turkey meat.
2 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise with the middle scooped out and set aside
2 cups shredded turkey
1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers
1/4 cup fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground turkey, peppers, and the middle part of the zucchini that was scooped out in a skillet over medium heat. Leave “boats” on a sprayed sheet pan.
- Spoon mixture into each zucchini boat and bake at 400 F for 30 minutes. If zucchini is not done, return to oven and check after 10 more minutes.
- Remove boats, sprinkle mozzarella cheese, and return to oven. Turn heat off. The cheese will melt in 3-5 minutes. Serve & enjoy.
Turkey Hot Pocket
6 slices of turkey
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Handful of spinach
1 Ezekiel Sprouted Tortilla
- Preheat skillet to medium-high heat.
- Arrange turkey, spinach, cheese, and mustard in the center of the tortilla. Fold in top edges of tortillas; then fold in the sides.
- Carefully place the side with folds, face down in the skillet. Press top with a spatula to crisp the edges closed on the bottom of the hot pocket.
- Let cook in skillet until bold sides have browned.
One Pan Enchiladas
1 pound shredded turkey
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 jars enchilada sauce depending on your taste and desired spiciness
6 corn tortillas, cut in half then sliced into thin strips
1 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, grated
1 diced red onion
1 grated zucchini squash
2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Brown ground turkey in a large skillet over medium heat with diced onion.
- Add grated zucchini toward the end for added flavor and moisture. Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Add the rinsed and drained black beans and enchilada sauce.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add sliced tortilla strips, stir well, top with cheese and cover.
- Let the mixture simmer 5–10 more minutes until cheese is melted too, with green onion or sliced avocado. Serves 4.
Use these recipes to use up your leftover turkey.
There is no reason to give up your favorite delicious holiday foods. Just eat them in moderation and use your leftovers to make healthy new decisions that will leave you with zero regrets.
You can find all of these amazing recipes and more on the LadyBoss® Pocket Personal Trainer.
Have a happy, safe, and delicious Thanksgiving!
Latest posts by Coach Stefanie, BS, ISSA, NASM (see all)
- Genius Ways to Use Up All Your Thanksgiving Leftovers - November 8, 2019
- Healthy Pasta Sauce Recipes - August 30, 2019
- Easy-to-Bake Healthy Protein Brownies - August 15, 2019